Friday, January 20, 2006

Wish me luck

I have a photo shoot tomorrow, a nice local family with two small kids.

I am photographing in their home and I plan to do the whole thing with available light as I usually do, but inside instead of outside. (it’s a bit cold in Chicago right now.)

I am encouraged by the fact that the mother of the two kids contacted me after seeing only one print of mine that is one of my favorite images.

The point is that she wants me to make images of her kids that look like the images I like to make.

Exactly the point of being an artist for hire.

I get plenty of the “oh, you’re a photographer, can you take pictures at the church fund-raiser?”, “do you do weddings?” and “I need a headshot for my company directory.” It is refreshing to hear “I saw your stuff, I love the image of X, I want to hire you.”

And it is music to my ears when I ask them what they have in mind and they say “you’re the artist, you tell me.”

The problem is this is the last shoot for a while.

I am having surgery on my right shoulder a week from next Monday and the recovery is a bit painful and debilitating. I’m not expecting to be able to lift a camera for about 6-8 weeks. Horrors!

Well, hopefully that will mean that I have time to think and post some more rants about photos and art and stuff.

james

No comments: